This is my latest widget for WordPress. If you use Last.fm to remember the music you listen to, this widget finds the cd covers for the music you listen most often to. I already had a widget that did this, but it used an XML-feed from Last.fm that never updates, so you always saw the same cd covers.
How to show your favorite cds on your wordpress weblog:
- Make sure your version of WordPress is 2.0 or higher
- Make sure your template is widget-ready
- Download Run For Cover version 1.4 here
- Extract the file and ftp it to the wp-content/plugins/widgets folder on your server
- Configure this widget under Presentation » Sidebar Widgets
You can choose where the images link to: Last.fm (default) or Amazon. If you choose to link to the Amazon product page, please note that this includes my associate id for Amazon.
The way it works for those interested:
- it opens an HTML page at last.fm
- filters the source of that page and finds the data for the cds
- browser sends an Ajax request to the server to find the cd cover image from Amazon
- adds the image to the page
- the period from which to use data is configurable now (last week, last 3 months, last 6 months, last year, all)
- check for new version is no longer automatic, version can be checked by clicking on a link in the config
- couple of small bugs fixed
- you can easily check for a new version of this widget
- added ‘Loading…’ text which is configurable, it disappears when first image is loaded
- added ‘No images to display’ along with the necessary checks — this text is also configurable
- widget now starts loading images after page has finished loading
- you can specify in the options if you want to link to Amazon or to Last.fm (Last.fm is default) (version 1.2)
- changed to weekly feed (version 1.1)
Let me know what you think!